I would be grateful for some advice / references to resolve a dispute
between myself and colleagues. The data consists of series of  consultants
assessing a patient on various critera and scoring the results as 1,2,3 or 4
(4 being "better" than 1). The current analysis involves taking the means of
these scores to give an average patient response which is then subject to
further analysis such as anovar. This is justified on the  grounds that
everybody analyses this type of data this way. I am unhappy about this and
would rather use the median or mode as summary statistics  for further
analysis.
Many thanks,
Gill.

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/