Many thanks to the people who responded to my query (bottom of email).
Summarises follow:

Particular thanks to Dr. Alex McMahon, whose paper brought to my attention
propensity score matching:
'
Matching in drug epidemiology is usually done by 'propensity scores'. You
don't need a special package as it's easy to do in a normal stats package.
Once you have created the scores you can box them into quintiles thus making
the matching easier than having to do individual matching on lots of
variables. See the references in my paper of last year:

Approaches to combat with confounding by indication in observational studies
of intended drug effects.
McMahon AD.
Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2003; 12; 7: 551-558.
'

Thanks to Professor Mike Campbell:
'
To my mind logistic regression should largely be confined to
situations where one can only have one event, eg death. Poisson
regression is really only valid when the counts are truly independent,
eg numbers of deaths in an age/sex group. When you have counts
within a unit, such as number of recurrances, then you should be
using either a negative binomial or an overdispersed Poisson, or
some form of random effects or multi-level model.
'

Thanks to Neil Hawkins:
'
Couple of quick suggestions:
1) include the matching variables as covariates in your analysis rather than
try to match on them. Alternately you might stratify your analysis by the
matching variables.
2) The decision whether to analyse the number of events or the number of
patients suffering one or more event should be primarily driven by the
question you are addressing.  If the question is one of resource
consumption, then you are probably interested in the number of events
occurring. If patients on average suffer more than one event, but you still
analyse the number of patients suffering from events, then you will
under-estimate resource consumption accordingly and need to consider if this
will compromise any inference you draw from the analysis.
'

Thannks to Dr. Peter Flom:
'
You might want to look at modelling multiple events in a survival
analysis context.  This is covered in Therneau & Grambsch (2000)
Modelling Survival Data: Extending the Cos Model. pub by Springer.
They use R and Splus quite a bit.  I believe that it's also discussed
(on a less technical level) in some of Paul Allison's work, but that
mostly uses SAS
'

Original query:

I'm writing up a SAP for a prospective observational study involving health
resource outcomes of two competing drugs. My client wants me to put in far
too many primary pieces of analysis but that's just how it is. I have two
questions - any help on either much appreciated - I'll summarise and post
back the responses.

I've been asked to conduct patient matched analysis (i.e. matching 1 patient
on drug X with 1 on Y) - I've been given the variables to match on. My
background is econometrics so I don't know much about this topic. Is there a
package out there anyone can recommend that can do the matching in either R
or Stata or Ox - I've not a clue as to what to do if 2+ people from drug X
perfectly match 1 person on drug Y and the fact my sample won't be equal
sizes - likely to be 2 to 1.

The other analysis is using standard technques to model the occurances of
certain outcomes (eg hospital visits) in a specified period. I'm doing the
usual time to event analysis, but the client also wants me to model either
the number of occurances in the period (Posisson/Neg Binomial model) or just
whether the event occurs (Logistic). My question is there a guide as what
percent of patients having a count greater than 1 is a cut off that dictates
whether to model the counts or just whether the event occurred? I want to
put this cutoff in my SAP so I can use it dictate my modelling - no idea if
this is legitimate?

Any help much appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any
action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this
message in error. Thank you.