Hi Everybody,

I'm writing up a SAP for a prospective observational study involving health
resource outcomes of two competing drugs. My client wants me to put in far
too many primary pieces of analysis but that's just how it is. I have two
questions - any help on either much appreciated - I'll summarise and post
back the responses.

I've been asked to conduct patient matched analysis (i.e. matching 1 patient
on drug X with 1 on Y) - I've been given the variables to match on. My
background is econometrics so I don't know much about this topic. Is there a
package out there anyone can recommend that can do the matching in either R
or Stata or Ox - I've not a clue as to what to do if 2+ people from drug X
perfectly match 1 person on drug Y and the fact my sample won't be equal
sizes - likely to be 2 to 1.

The other analysis is using standard technques to model the occurances of
certain outcomes (eg hospital visits) in a specified period. I'm doing the
usual time to event analysis, but the client also wants me to model either
the number of occurances in the period (Posisson/Neg Binomial model) or just
whether the event occurs (Logistic). My question is there a guide as what
percent of patients having a count greater than 1 is a cut off that dictates
whether to model the counts or just whether the event occurred? I want to
put this cutoff in my SAP so I can use it dictate my modelling - no idea if
this is legitimate?

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

Stephen Kay
Head of Statistics

Adelphi Group Products
www.adelphigroup.com

DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any
action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this
message in error. Thank you.