Here is an important message from Marie-Noelle Guillot at the University of
East Anglia. I would urge all subscribers to AFLS-NEWS seriously to consider
responding to this request. Colleagues in French have been very active members
of AFLS over the years: among other things, they have hosted an AFLS
conference (in 1998, I think), and provided the AFLS Membership Secretary and
a member of the Publications Committee (in both cases, for several years).

Aidan

>===== Original Message From <[log in to unmask]> =====
Dear Aidan,

Could you please disseminate the message below to the AFLS list
subscribers? Tahnk you.

Hope all is well for you.

Marie-Noëlle

 -----------------------
 Dr Marie-Noëlle Guillot
 Lecturer in French
 Chair Graduate Studies
 School of Language, Linguistics
 and Translation Studies
 University of East Anglia
 Norwich NR4 7TJ
 United Kingdom
 Tel: + 44 (0)1603 592136
 Fax: + 44 (0)1603 250599
 UEA website: www.uea.ac.uk

You may have heard that the University of East Anglia's Senior
Management

Team has decided to recommend the discontinuation of honours foreign

language provision at UEA and the replacement of its School of Language,

Linguistics and Translation Studies with a teaching only unit which will

offer beginners and intermediary language teaching.

In our view, this removes the prospect of any post-A level foreign
language

provision for school leavers in the East Anglia region, and comes at a
time

of rising costs in higher education which is likely to mean that school

leavers will increasingly be inclined to attend their local university.
It

also comes at a time when Languages at UEA have been forging stronger,

supportive links with the secondary languages education sector in the
East

Anglia region and in adjoining counties, as demonstrated by the year 10

languages day we are holding at UEA on June 23rd.

(See:http://www.llt.uea.ac.uk/admissions/openday.shtml).

We believe that such a closure would have a damaging impact on the
teaching

and learning of languages in East Anglia and nationally. The decisions

about the future of honours language provision have yet to be approved
by

University Senate (June 23) and Council and it would be of considerable

assistance to us if you and any others who wish to support the provision
of

Modern Foreign Languages at UEA, were able to find five minutes over the

next few days to pen a few lines, not necessarily arguing the case for

Honours language provision at UEA, but at least indicating your support
for

the continuation of that provision: and send your letter or email (with

copy to us [[log in to unmask]]) to:

David Eastwood

The Vice Chancellor

University of East Anglia