In a message dated 13/6/04 10:43:50 am, [log in to unmask] writes:

I have written a VERY FIRST draft of a response to the VC at East Anglia on behalf of AFLS (see Aidan's message to AFLS-news yesterday; copied below in case you missed it). As you realise, the situation is very urgent, and I would welcome your responses as soon as possible. Please feel free to criticise, add, amend etc... I am quite new to playing this role, and your advice is greatly appreciated! I am also wondering whether we should also all write as individuals; advice on this would be welcome, Marie-Noelle.

On a different and much more cheery note, I can now let you know I will be starting a new job in October, as Professor of French Linguistics at the university of Newcastle. Exciting but scary! I am really following in Tony's footsteps!

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!!

I sent the VC the following message last Friday when I saw the announcement on Francofil:

Dear Professor David Eastwood,

I heard that UEA is about to close its honours foreign language provision and replace its School of Language, Linguistics and Translation Studies with a teaching unit.
I think firstly that this would have a damaging impact on the teaching and learning of languages in East Anglia, nationally and internationally.
Secondly, it also seems counter-intuitive to me, in the present geo-political climate, to close a place that informs the world about the crucial issues of multiculturalism, multilingualism, and intercultural communication.
In the light of 9/11, I think that all of us need to contribute actively to the promotion of democratic values, tolerance and mutual respect.  Linguists in particular encourage critical thinking and cherish theoretical, linguistic, cultural and political diversity.  Students need to learn this in order to become informed citizens.
I hope your University Senate and Council will reconsider the plan and maintain the School of Language, Linguistics and Translation Studies in its present form rather than turning it into a McDonalds of minimal language instruction.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Jean-Marc Dewaele
Reader in French and Applied Lingustics at Birkbeck College, University of London
Member of the Executive board of the International Association of Applied Linguistics

Jean-Marc