Dear Judith,

1) I hope this will assist you in deciding what and how you need to do
in order to ensure that members of your Promotion Panels are trained
appropriately, relative to all Equality and Diversity statutory
requirements, not to mention good institutional practice for all your
stakeholders.

2) I think the first admission that we need to make is that whatever we
do towards training and/or any other institutional response that we make
towards E&D requirements, we need to be seen to be guided by the RRAA's
requirements, as it is the one E&D area currently making the most
demands on institutional practice. This will enable our response to not
only adopt a holistic E&D approach but also ensure that it does not go
below the lowest level of quality that we are statutorily, required to
maintain as part of good practice for all.

3) That guidance I think needs to be interpreted through the General
Duty's three elements but more specifically, through the Specific Duty
of Impact Assessment, and the other two most encompassing requirements
of the RRAA, that of the "Burden of Proof and Vicarious Liability".

4) Since Promotion is a highly race equality (E&D) relevant function of
institutional employment and service provision practice and has
traditionally been a source of lots of complaints, it therefore, in my
opinion, needs to be handled separately because it has particular needs
of its own, under E&D.

5) This then means that the Promotion function definitely requires
impact assessing first before we should even think of what training to
provide and what skills and abilities the trainer should have because
all that will be decided by the findings of our impact assessment
process. The impact assessment process describes exactly what we should
do, why, how, who and when, if we are to do this properly and according
to not only the E&D requirements but also good institutional practice
for all that is seen to be anti-(unlawful)discriminatory in its
implementation.

6) Needless to caution that the impact assessment process needs to be
evidentially implemented according to all the Guides' advice, the
HFCE/ECU, the CRE, the recently launched JNCHES/ECU Communication and
Consultation Report and Toolkit for HEIs and most importantly the CRE
Statutory Code of Practice.

7) I think given all the above, a clear case is made for how highly E&D
relevant the Promotion function is and therefore what, why and how the
training of Promotion Panel members will need to be decided, not only
because the function is different from recruitment but also the needs to
be considered both of the Panel members themselves and the staff to be
promoted, will demand different ways of addressing, under the various
E&D statutory requirements.

8) Last but not least, if institutional culture and practice is to be
seen, through reasonable and practicable evidence, to be striving to be
good for all those who deserve, wish and are enabled to apply for
promotion, then the training of all those who implement the function of
Promotion, has to be seen to be relative and relevant to their real
established needs.

I hope this helps Judith and please feel free (and this is extended to
all colleagues out there) to come back to me at any time if you feel you
need any further explanation on any of the issues that I have raised
above.

Have a wonderful break.

Warm regards
Mannie.