-----Original Message-----
From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fehmeeda Riaz
Sent: 26 August 2004 11:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pentecost Festival for Jewish students

Dear Colleagues,

We have been dealing with a sensitive and potentially difficult
situation regarding
special exam arrangements for Orthodox Jewish students who were
observing the
Pentecost Festival in June but alerted us to their requirements at a
very late stage.

I know that the Equality Challenge Unit is due to produce some further
guidance in
this area later on in the year, but I would be very grateful if
colleagues could offer any
advice on this, particularly if they have had similar requests at their
institutions  and
how they have dealt with them.  We are totally committed to embracing
diversity and
promoting equality and want to be as flexible and accommodating as
possible but
there are clear logistical problems with trying to timetable hundreds of
exams for a
community of approximately 23,000 students.  There is also the potential
for creating
a dangerous precedent or causing potential friction with other students
who may also
have special needs with regards to religious festivals/observance during
assessment
periods.

With best wishes

Fehmeeda
Fehmeeda Riaz
Employee Relations Adviser (Diversity)
University of Westminster
HR Department
9-18 Euston Centre
Tel: 0207-911-5776
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager at Trinity Development immediately on +44 (0)191 350 6538 quoting the name of the sender and the addressee and then delete it from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.