This clearly illustrates the fallacy behind repeating an LP to detect haem pigments. This is not explicitly stated in the Guidelines we published and will be incorporated in any update.
It is unfortunate, but true that the precious CSF from an LP in ?SAH is often mishandled or tests performed that use precious sample are done first.
Problem is you can issue advice with sampling kits, but getting people to use transport and store properly cam seem an insurmountable challenge!
Finally one option we use is to check the CSF ferritin, its not a great rule-in, but a reasonable rule-out. [Ann Clin Biochem 2002; 40: 269-273.

Ian Watson
Consultant Biochemist
Walton Centre for Neurology & Neurosurgery
University Hospital Aintree