Sorry to contradict the Royal Horticultural Society and Dr. D. G. Hessayon but our male dog (Heinz 57 variety) burnt the lawn severely as a puppy, but only rarely after he matured and again only rarely once he had been neutered.

Best wishes to all who celebrate Christmas and the New Year

Mike

Dr Mike Bosomworth
Consultant Clinical Biochemist
Acting Head of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology - LTHT

>>> Brian Payne <[log in to unmask]> 21/12/2004 16:55:04 >>>
Les

Both the Royal Horticultural Society and 'The Lawn Expert', Dr D G Hessayon, are specific that it is bitches' urine that burns a lawn - perhaps the sex linkage is related to the posture adopted during urination rather than to hormonal differences.

Have a good Christmas

Brian Payne

Les Culank wrote:

Dear Elliott,It is well known that a dog's urine can kill grass & "burn" a lawn veryeffectively, was that what the patient had in mind do you think?I don't know whether it's caused by the acidity, high osmolality, a specificconstituent, or what.It would be interesting to know if the same aetiology would lead in an ulcerto debridement, antisepsis, or both.There are other of course ancient topical remedies, I recall a mention ofhoney in that context, it would sound like a nicer thing to use.Anyone got any genuine & relevant knowledge or expertise?Merry crimble,Les  From: "Simpson, Elliott (MK) Top Grade Biochemist LaboratorySubject: A Case for ChristmasI have just been phoned by a consultant dermatologist about the followingcase.  It seems to me to have been designed for discussion during Christmasweek, so I share it with the site hoping, as ever, to find a helpfulresponse.The patient had a venous leg ulcer and venous dermatitis which wasresponding to conventional therapy (compression bandaging and topicalsteroids).  In August, while on holiday in Cornwall, a nurse switch to a"medicated bandage" and the lady had an allergic reaction which made thedermatitis worse.  On her returning home, she stopped her conventionaltherapy and, for reasons not totally clear to our medical staff, applied abandage soaked in her dog's urine onto the ulcer for two days on twooccasions.  She noticed an immediate improvement and the ulcer is now healedand there is no dermatitis.The dermatologists would have expected the healing process to have stoppedwhen the conventional treatment was stopped.  They also would have expectedthe healing to have taken longer than this had conventional treatment notbeen stopped.The dog is said to be very old and was not on any medication.  (We don'tknow much about the dog - breed, etc - but probably could find out, if thatwas thought to be useful.)The Dermatologist is interested to know if there any known healing compoundslikely to be present and a specimen of the dog's urine is available for anycolleagues who would like to try to find some.Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.Elliott SimpsonDeputy Clinical DirectorClinical Support Services Directorate      ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.