This is quite a common topic, and I think it should be included in the
putative FAQ for the mailgroup.

1 This point's a platitude that may not be immediately helpful. Access
by a Web browser should be a mandatory requirement for all information
systems. Advantages include:
* Geographical independence
* OS independence
* Low initial and support costs
* The same application allows access to everything (including
handbooks, policies, EBM in this context).

2 Ignoring 1, how is the problem from home different from the problem
at work? Unless you are using physical terminals  at work (as opposed
to terminal emulation on a personal computer) you should use the same
terminal emulation program on your home computer as you do on your work
computer...

3 I don't know the details of terminal emulation packages for Windows
because, as a matter of policy, we don't use Windows. (Some of the
reasons are appended below. ) I'm sure you could get advice from the
following:
* iSoft
* The Apex user group
* This list
* Your hospital "IT Department"
* Your University Computing Support team
* Google, with something like:
http://www.google.com/search?q=vt320+full+Windows+emulation&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-8

4 The usual reason for raising this question is to do with security and
restrictions imposed by NHS organisations...

Happy New Year

Jonathan

Cost of ownership:
http://forgetcomputers.com/~jdroz/03.html

And, having advocated browser-based solutions, a caution about IE and
security:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/7539.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/6366.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/8984.html