Buy a lottery ticket! (Or see the physics behind the Infinite Improbalilty
Drive - Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallworth Mike (RLZ) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 December 2004 13:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Christmas calculation...

We received a pregnancy test sample this week. Due to a slip of the finger
by one of our data entry clerks, the GP code number was incorrectly entered,
so the report went to the wrong GP, in a practice in a different town -
where it was opened by the patient, who works as a receptionist in the other
surgery....

Enter Rudolf, the red-faced biochemist...

Questions:
1. What are the odds against this?
2. Should I buy a lottery ticket today?

Information which you may need:
We serve 70 GP practices.
Average number of clerical staff per practice = 4.34 (I made that up)
Permittivity of free space = 8.85 x 10exp-12 Farads/metre

Happy Christmas to all mailbase readers!

Mike Hallworth

list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical
biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed
via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are
responsible for all message content.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions
(How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/