Interesting case that might attract some comment?

A 13 month old baby with chronic  diarrhoea
Liver profile / Renal profile all normal with the exception of Albumin 33
g/L
Stool sample sent to the laboratory with request
"Reducing substances please and anything else you can think of?"
My first thought was ? Send it to India, but I persevered
Reducing substances -VE
Fat Microscopy -VE

Sample was centrifuged  and yielded 5 mls of clear brown liquid with about a
gram of solid matter at base of tube.

Stool Osmolality 331 mosmol/Kg
Na 49 mmol/L
K 37  mmol/L
Calculated Osmolality 172
Osmolal Gap  159 --> Osmotic diarrhoea

? Epsom Salts being added to milk feed
Mg 1.5 mmol/L --> So no

Paeds ? Protein losing Enteropathy can you measure a Faecal Alpha 1
Antitrypsin
Well  S.Albumin was on the low side so why not thought I
Stool Alpha 1 Antitrypsin 0.23 g/L (well I have no idea what the normal
range is, ? anyone else know)

More results were now appearing
IgG 5.1 g/L (3.1 - 13.8)
IgA <0.05 g/L (0.3 - 1.2) Paeds ? malabsorption
IgM 0.3 g/L (0.5 - 2.2)

Anti Gliadin IgG abs - POSITIVE
Anti Gliadin IgA abs -NEGATIVE
Awaiting Endomyseal abs result

So ? Coeliac disease.
The baby had all gluten removed from diet and switched to Soya feed.
Diarrhoea resolves in 4 days

The interesting bit of this case for me is the request for a faecal A1AT for
? protein losing enteropathy. Not something I have encountered before. Does
anyone have any info on the usefulness of a one off measurements. I found a
couple of references on medline that mentioned Stool A1ATclearances but no
examples.

Cheers
John