From: Craig Webster [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 April 2004 17:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Assaulting patients with added tests

The not doing of tests comes down to whether you are consulting an
expert in the laboratory or just ordering a test. If we take the example
of tumour markers, one of the most popular requests from A&E at the
moment goes along the lines of: Stomach pain ? Cause with U&E, Ca, LFT,
Thyroid Function tests, CEA, CA125 (if female), CA199, CA153, PSA, AFP &
HCG should we just do this because its been ordered or actually think
about the finite resources the NHS has and actually try and direct
appropriate investigations?

I'm interested because it does seem from some of the arguments that the
lab should be a black box and just do what we are told.

Regards
Craig

Craig Webster
Principal Clinical Biochemist