As a trustee of Cilip (all Councillors are) I spoke to both someone from the Charity Commissioners and to the Institute's auditor in connection with the 2003 accounts and the 2004 budget. This was in particular with the "Going concern" qualification that was appended to the auditor's report and the deteriorating state of CILIP's reserves.

I came away from the auditor conversation feeling that we can rest assured that the accounts are thoroughly and critically audited.  I hope that we can rest equally assured that the soon-to-be-founded Audit Committee will se promptly and in an open manner all communications from the auditor, as was not the case when the accounts and the qualifying letter were presented to Council as separate agenda items widely separated on the agenda.

The Charity Commissioners do not have the resources to apply thorough audit and governance style scruitiny to the myriad bodies that fall under the Charity heading, but do spot checks and monitor what amounts to a sick and in danger list. This list is fed by feedback from trustees like myself and also by information from the media, police and other sources, and my impression was that things have to be very much worse than the darkest moments in Cilip's history before they get involved beyond the very useful and helpful advice that I received during the conversation.

The fact is that the law is set up to ensure that charities are self-correcting as far as possible.  If you are a trustee, you are in exactly the same position as a Lloyd's Name - you are liable to the full extent of your assets  for any misconduct or inattention.  Cilip Trustees are covered by insurance against losing everything, but this insurance is void in the case of recklessness or unreasonable torpor in the face of trouble.  We should therefore expect that Trustees should conduct effective oversight of the action of employees and the executive board.

My personal view is that for some time at least this has not been the case in Cilip and that the Council has not been as active as it should have been in exercising that oversight.  I have to say, though, that this is very much a tiny minority opinion within Council and it may be that I am being alarmist and am overreacting.  However, the questions which must be asked to all those who have written to this list complaining about Things are these:

What have you done about your misgivings?

Have you sought to participate as a Councillor so that you can do something more than just bleat on to Lis-Cilip about it?

Goodness knows there is opportunity - currently one Group has no Councillor because it can't find anyone willing to serve, most Group Councillors (including me) have been returned unopposed and often have to be head-hunted (not including me!); and National Councillor elections when they happen at all usually only have only one or two more candidates than slots.  Good grief - some years we even have trouble finding people to be President.

Have you even spoken to a Councillor about your concerns?

Every group (bar one) and every Branch has one, and there are 12 National Councillors available to anyone, and it is easy (for a trained searcher) to find out who they are on the Cilip web site. We're most of us approachable even clubbable people, tend by definition to be out and about more than most.  And we have mostly become Councillors because we care about Cilip and believe in democracy.

If you have done none of these things, haven't you got the Cilip you deserve?

For all but a very, very few the "too busy" argument is just rubbish.  Most Councillors have full-time jobs, careers to pursue, commitments and interests outside work.  If you care - do something because if you don't it will damage libraries and information services everywhere and will long-term mean you and your fellow-professionals never get the recognition and rewards that many of you seem to feel is our due.  On the whole, you get what you're prepared to fight for.

This may seem an angry rant - it's certainly a bit angry.  But I worked for 16 years as a middle-manager in a professional association where a considerable number of the membership cared passionately about what went on.  Prospective chairs of committee and Senior Offices worked hard, lobbying and campaigning, to get elected and Council was a stroppy, bubbling affair that was capable of putting the willies and more up the great and the good - eg once requiring the Treasurer to come back immediately after the lunch break with full costs and detailed process explanation of a controversial building refurb project - and in general will not settle for anything less than excellence.  The contrast with Cilip could not be clearer.

So, ladies and gentlemen - put up or shut up, please.  Fat chance.

Tony McSean

Health Libraries Group Councillor