Thank you for all your replies so far. All are extremely helpfull.

I would be interested Jane, if you referred the employee with the neuro problems directly to a neurologist or through the OH Physician first. The company the employee works for are concerned a) that the lady has a definate reaction to the paint and how can they assist given that the paint is in use to all the external areas of the building. She works inside in a well ventilated large area. b) that she is 'pulling their leg' as she does not have to be in the vicinity of the painting to have an 'attack' and only faints in front of an audiance (their words not mine!). She was recently been diagnosed with Raynauds and has been moved from the previous colder working area to an ambient working area. The symptoms increased dramatically after this, with greater frequency whenever she heard that painting was underway.

Her employers are considering redeploying her to a different unit, but are concerned taht if she has a reaction to a chemical in the paint she could come into contact with this in other products and have a similar or worse reaction.

> Message date : Jul 19 2004, 06:17 PM
> From : "Jane Fairburn" <[log in to unmask]>
> To : [log in to unmask]
> Copy to :
> Subject : Re: Paint Fumes
>

> Hi Anne,

> I think the paint fumes may be incidental and would get her a neuro opinion. I once had a guy with a similar-ish issue when redoing some warehouse painting with Hammerite paint. An ENT spec said it was an allergic problem but to me symptoms reported to me didn't add up and in the end it was neuro and nil to do with paint at all.

> Unless she is pregnant?? Only joking!!

> Jane.

Sign up to the MSN Premium service in June and receive a FREE webcam worth £39.99! More details here. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.

Helen Hannar
OH Advisor

OHServices (NE).
Tel:- 01388 777962