Dear International Boundaries List Members,

This year an International Facility will be created to provide third-party assistance in dispute resolution and promote cooperation between countries sharing a common water resource.  Those developing the Facility, those considering financing it, and those stakeholders within Transboundary river basins that can benefit from it require your input of expertise in transboundary water issues to ensure that the Facility is created in such a way that it has the appropriate capacity to be both effective and efficient at addressing the existing needs.

I am currently performing an independent feasibility study of the proposed International Cooperation Initiative as part of my M.Sc. Thesis at IHE Delft in The Netherlands.  Your insights into the proposed initiative will be compiled into my work and presented to those International Organisations developing the Facility for their consideration.

As you may be aware, it was announced at the 3rd World Water Forum that four international water  organisations would partner together to help create an International Facility to help coordinate international
service providers and provide a 'one-stop-shop' for third party assistance services relating to transboundary water management issues.  My studies focus on the apparent need for the facility in addition to what the design criteria and governing structure should be to ensure that the facility is both effective and efficient at meeting the needs (if required).  As such, I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a brief moment to provide your insights now during the critical development phase of the Facility.

I have prepared a questionnaire (primarily closed question / multiple choice) for you to summarise your thoughts in a few brief minutes.  The survey is also available online at the following address:

HTTP://vac81.ihe.nl/vac/survey.nsf/index/WaterCooperationFacility

If you prefer, I understand that a WORD version of this survey has been uploaded to the files area of this forum at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/INT-BOUNDARIES/

The WORD document has a larger layout and is available should you find it easier to read and complete than the web-based survey.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at: [log in to unmask]

Through this survey you will be providing a significant contribution to stakeholders, governments, and service providers by defining the needs and capacities required to improve cooperation in shared river basins throughout the world.   In addition, if you wish I can forward your contact information to those specific representatives of the four International Organisations partnering together to create this Facility to add to their database of experienced experts.  As this work is likely of interest to you and your associates involved with transboundary water issues, I would also like to request that you forward this email to those partners and contacts within your network of stakeholders, experts and government officials who focus work within transboundary river basins.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.   If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience +31-(0)61-899-8967.

Yours very truly,

Kyle Robertson, P.Eng.