Rob,

This is all true. I'm not criticizing the thread. I'm raising a question.

This list often sees debates the acceptability of posting carefully written
comments on research issues. A look into the archives will show several
dozen occasions in which scholarly or scientific posts have been attacked
simply because they are scientific or scholarly – someone feels intimidated,
another worries about power relations, a third seems to suggest that a
scholarly debate is somehow less democratic than a post that simply
describes feelings.

Now I’m not criticizing the threads of the last few days. I’m asking a
question – and I think it’s a fair question.

Discussing design practice is relevant to design research. Brainstorming a
specific product problem may not be. Not, at least, unless we link the
discussion to research in design.

Otherwise, I’d like to know what makes a product development brainstorm on
PhD-Design different from a product development brainstorm on any other
list. Or a product development brainstorm back at the shop.

IMHO, this is your strong field. Everyone values and respects your
knowledge. At the same time, this is also YOUR comfort zone as a professor
of industrial design. Since you have also been a frequent critic of
scholarly debate, I’d be tempted to quote you: “Confronting and accepting
change and being flexible is part of design today even on the level of
discussion topics. If the world stayed the same there would be no need for
design.” But then, I’d want to add a word to your note: “If the world stayed
the same there would be no need for design research.”

Please take this with a wink and a smile. I’m not complaining about the
thread, but I certainly AM asking for stronger links to research issues.

I’ve had a few off-list notes on this. It’s not my place to post private
notes, but I’d sure like to hear what others think. Is anyone else willing
to step up to the plate and swing at this ball?

Cindy

Headed back home from Berlin – with a happy detour through London thanks to
a sudden client meeting