Salt Mining in Cheshire

The Daily Mail, Saturday 31 January 2004 pp 26-27

“A few inches of snow and everything slides to a halt.  But don’t blame
the three men working in Britain’s only salt mine - 100 miles of
incredible caverns beneath rural Cheshire ... TRUE GRIT” by Robert
Hardman.

This was the title of a very interesting article on salt mining in
Cheshire.  It appears they never throw out any old equipment.  One
section of tunnel is a graveyard for old diggers.  “There is no point in
taking them out so we leave them down here when we’ve finished with them
“, Mr Sheen explains.  There is very little corrosion as the salt air is
so dry.  A mining museum in the making?