Hi All,

I am hoping one of you out there may have had the same problem as me and was
able to successfully solve the problem.

A school in my area, like so many others throughout the country, does not
have a drop-off point or, a car park, to assist parents when either bringing
children to school or, picking them up again. The school has a procedure
whereby they lock the vehicular access between 8.30am and 3.45pm to prevent
parents driving up to the school. There is no room for vehicles to turn in
the staff carpark once the staff have taken up all the parking bays.

One of the parents has a heart condition that prevents her from walking more
than 10 meters without taking a substantial recovery break. This parent has
asked the school to allow her access to the staff carpark in order to drop
off and pick up her child.

The school has now asked me to determine if are they required, under the
DDA, to provide a member of staff to unlock the gate each time this parent
arrives as well as providing an accessible parking bay. They tell me the
price £15,000 for a full security CCTV and powered gate, costs too much for
this to be an option. I believe that doing nothing is not an option and I
believe there must be a lower level security system out there that will
allow vehicular identification so that the gate can be opened remotely from
a school office.

If you can offer some advice I would be grateful,

John

----------End of Message----------

Run by SURFACE for more information on research, consultancy and the distance taught MSc. in Accessibility and Inclusive Design programme visit:

http://www.inclusive-design.it

Archives for the Accessibuilt discussion list are located at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/accessibuilt.html