On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 08:21, Robin wrote:
> > > 80 is a common size.
> >
> > Not really, is it?
>
> Yes it is.  Whether you like it or not, the Intel 86 do arithmetic
> using 80-bit f.p.

I didn't express any opinion for or against 80 bit fp.  I was
merely asking a genuine question whether there were systems where
80 bit fp numbers were supported outside of the processor.  (I'm
fully aware of how x86 does fp arithmetic.)

> ... extended precision at 80 bits for those Fortran compilers that
> support 80 bits.

Which (Fortran) compilers are these?  (This is an honest question --
I'm not trying to be sarcastic -- I'd really like to know.)

--
Neil Carlson <[log in to unmask]>