I would have to agree with Sheila below, the first thing that struck me
upon viewing the photos was that they looked very like the premaxillae
of deer-like animals. What is the length of them?
Have ye been able to ascertain if the bone is fish or mammal?

Interesting though!
Kind regards
Ruth

S H-D wrote:

>I'd guess deer, or similar, premaxillae - which would be why they can't
find them in any fish, they do look fishy in shape don't they?! what do
the rest of you think.
>Sheila
>SH-D ArchaeoZoology
>http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk/
>all mail checked by Norton antivirus: http://www.sarc.com/

Mississippian--Thurston Phase
>  village complex (w/ several associated mounds), and was excavated
>  during a Section 106/Compliance project. All 4 of these items are
>  from a large feature, possibly a trash pit.
>
>  We have compared these objects to all manner of fish in our
collection,
>  as well as the usual suspects, but to no avail.
>
>  If you find our case intriguing and would like to view photos of the
>  mystery pieces, click on:
>
>  http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAN2jZw4bNGrCIA
>
>  Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to send our way!
>
>  Tanya M. Peres, PhD, RPA
>  Assistant Director, Program for Archaeological Research
>  Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
>  University of Kentucky
>  1020A Export Street
>  Lexington, KY 40506-9854
>  859-257-1944 Office
>  859-323-1968 FAX
>  www.uky.edu/as/anthropology/PAR
>  www.uky.edu/~tmpere2
>  CELEBRATING 75 YEARS OF ANTHROPOLOGY AT UK, 1928-2003

Ruth F. Carden B.Sc.
Zoology Department
National University of Ireland, Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4