The Commonwealth of Design Research vs. J. S. Bach and Glenn Gould

- I call to the stand Mr. Glenn Gould.
(Mr. Gould seems too absorbed in some kind of remote elaboration. He
continuously rubs his arms and wrists.)
- Mr Gould! Would you care to come to the bench?
- ...
- Mr Gould, have you listened to Mr 5 testimony?
- I can't help listening. That is my curse.
- What do you mean by curse? (let the record show that Mr Gould
feels cursed)
- It means that I'm constantly seeing the construction of the
musical score of every sound that I ear.
- Does that mean that someone coughing, sneezing and snoozing has
the same possibility of being registered on a musical (!) score as the
piano solo that we have been speaking about?
- Yes...
- For you, there is any difference?
- Yes, I'm celebrated for reproducing piano solos and not by
reproducing repugnant human noises.
- Mr Gould, what is your profession?
- I'm a pianist.
- Therefore your profession is totally based on a device called
piano, in a sense that you exert your profession operating a piano. In the
sense that, even without a piano, you should be described as a person who
is prepared to follow pianism. Like Marxists don't need to operate marxes
to follow Marxism.
- Irrelevant
- Sustained. Mr X could we get back your previous line of thought?
- Sorry, Your Honour, I was merely trying to establish the
defendant's pattern of behaviour
- Stick to the facts, please.
- Mr Gould ...
- Yes.
- Mr Gould, from your perspective, what is a Marxist?
- Objection, Your Honour!
- Sustained.
- I'll rephrase that: Mr Gould, do you think possible to refer to
someone as a dish-washist?
- ...?
- In a sense that someone earns a living out of manoeuvring a dish-
washer?
- I guess I could...
- From your experience, are the skills required to manoeuvre a piano
different from the skills of manoeuvring a dish-washer?
- Of course they are different! Dish-washers came with the manuals
for their operations. Anyone, by reading those instructions can operate
them. Pianists interpret Music.
- Mr. Gould, isn't Mr. 5, on his written form, like an instructions
manual?
- No! Although giving directions, a musical score has nothing to do
with an instruction manual for operating a piano. Operating a piano
requires persistent daily work to master it and, maybe, there are some
cognition powers so specific that only a few can do it in an excel way.
- And you would describe that cognition powers as related to the
realm of "sensory-motor"?
- Yes... May I go outside and put my arms in warm water?
- No, Mr. Gould you cant. Can those "special sensory-motor powers"
be described as oddities?
- In a sense that very few of humans can achieve it, yes.
- The piano solo that we have been talking about is something that
reveals that kind of oddity?
- Yes.
- Are you implying that Mr Bach wrote that particular part of Mr. 5
just for oddities?
- I don't know...
- You mean that you don't know what was Mr Bach design?
- I mean that my "special powers" have nothing to do with knowing
what Johan Sebastian design fully was since I am only an interpreter, a
messenger that, provided with those "special powers", reveals a design to
whom is prepared to cognate it.
- In that sense you are comparable to the finest of dish-washists...
- Yes, if reading, interpreting both the machine and how it operates
can be revealing about the nature of dish-washing and about the nature
limits of dish-washers. If I could master it I would be that oddity that
could bring others near to the design cognition of dish washing apparent
on the specific dish-washer operation.
- But the final step for design cognition would be performed by
others.
- Yes, they would have, then, all the data.

Meanwhile at the back stage office of the Phineas Cage's Club in Newark:

-The guy Gould is cracking up...
- Is that a problem for us?
- Boss, I can't tell. But that guy gives me the creeps...
- Dear Ollie, the Damasio family runs this racket of mapping brains since
my grandfather's uncle Egas Moniz started it long time ago...
- Tony, we must dispose of this guy!

(to be continued)

Eduardo