The recent Parys / Extreme Archaeology TV show seems to have been a
recurring (beer fueled) topic of converstaion at Coniston last weekend.
The consensus being that the programme did nothing to further the cause of
underground archaeology nor the wider interests of the mining history
community.  However what the programme did acheive was to further the
dialogue as to what underground archaeology should / could be.

To date what work that has been done underground has either been done by
enthusiastic amateurs or slightly eccentric profesionals, everybody working
within their own standards and parameters.

For example..... coming from a caving background all the surveying I've
done is based on and influenced by the CRG /BCRA grading system.  Whilst
people coming from the caving side of the historical mining community seem
to be happy with these standards for recording basic passage details,
professional archaeologists tend to have reservations about the system.

On the positive side there is a dialogue.  On a personnal level the recent
NAMHO Underground Archaeology meet at Grassington inspired members of the
Tamar Mining Group to experiment with distos and plane tables.  Likewise
there has been the recent discussion on this list regarding 3d mapping
software.

Given the emergent, albeit embryonic, interest shown in the subject by
potential funding bodies at both local and national levels, surely now is
the time to develop a robust, common, multi - diciplinary methodology and
set of standards acceptable to all those involved, at whatever level, in
underground archaeology.

Underground archaeology has the potential to become a distinct and
recognised  dicipline, and we, as mine historians / archaeologists /
explorers, have a unique oportunity to influence the direction this takes.

What we need is a methodology designed by us to meet the needs of our
dicipline and the disparate parties involved, taking into account the best
of past practice, current thinking and 21st century technology.

End of manifesto.

Rick Stewart.