Many thanks to all who contributed replies to my request for fiction with a
musical theme. In case the information is useful to others I am pulling it
together into a single list.

Cyril Hare Where the wind blows (murder mystery set around a local music
festival; the guest violinist is murdered before she can play the
Mendelssohn violin concerto) Probably published 1940s, Cyril Hare's books
have recently been reprinted.

Pinchas Zuckerman's wife wrote a novel with a musical background about 20
years ago.

While the music lasts / Alice McVeigh, about life in a touring British
orchestra and relationships between the players. Also  'Ghost music' but, I
don't know the precise content of that one. As the author was a player
herself it's likely to be on a similar theme, I think.

 Angela Huth,  'Easy silence,'  novella about a violin player in a string
quartet having a mid-life crisis and falling in love with their new viola
player.

Michael Faber, "The courage consort"

John Suchet, Beethoven trilogy ""The last master" - see
<http://www.wendoverbookshop.co.uk/fiction/musicalnovels.htm>
http://www.wendoverbookshop.co.uk/fiction/musicalnovels.htm

Essay on music in English detective fiction at
<http://www.musicweb.uk.net/detective.htm>
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/detective.htm

 <http://www.classical.net/music/books/fiction.html>
http://www.classical.net/music/books/fiction.html
 <http://www.lib.washington.edu/music/mystery.html>
http://www.lib.washington.edu/music/mystery.html#Musicin - list of
staggering length

[   <http://www.contemporarywriters.com/> www.contemporarywriters.com/  -
searchable in both free text and by genre of authors (regrettably not a
music gene). Searchable database contains up-to-date profiles of some of the
UK and Commonwealth's most important living writers - biographies,
bibliographies, critical reviews, prizes and photographs. Searchable by
author, genre, nationality, gender, publisher, book title, date of
publication and prize name/date. Perhaps more useful on another theme than
this one.]

Hazel Dakers
Reaching the Regions Programme Manager
Regional and Library Programmes
British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB

tel:  0207-412-7152
fax: 0207-412-7155

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.