I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my original message, and
apologise for not replying to each of you individually.

There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion about actual numbers of
pieces of evidence!  People seem to have had their portfolios accepted at
opposite ends of the scale.

I have copied all the responses below (anonymously), so if anyone else was
wondering, you can make up your own minds! :)

The main theme seems to be to use only one piece per point, try to avoid
repetition, but cross-referencing is ok.

I think this also answers the question posted about pro-formas.  I think it
might refer to the list of cross-references that people have included?

Thanks again, and hope it helps!
Hannah

-When I was at an introductory day to chartership the examples of
portfolios there were huge. However, my RLO has just sent me an example of
another that was only 1 example for each and that had passed. Seeing that
has definitely made me panic a lot less about the amount of work needed!

-One item per point will more than suffice, in fact repetition should
really be avoided if possible. I was told quality not quantity. In some
cases, one item in the portfolio will cover multiple sections of the
training plan. I drew up a cross reference contents page to demonstrate to
the examiner bloke what was associated with what.

-I included 14 items in total and tried to cover as many sections as
possible ... I have only sent it off so I am not sure if this has been a
successful way of doing it.

-I recently had a meeting asking this exact question.  It's not the
quantity of material that matters, it's the quality.  Whatever evidence you
may have is sufficient, such as an email or an abstract.  CILIP don't
necessarily want full documentation, but first page of something is
sufficient, or the page that shows what you have discussed, so annotate it-
highlight the text etc.  They don't want to see a hundred documents with 20
pages each, just the relevant sections.
I hope that this helps, it certainly put my mind at ease, and besides, if
they want to see more, they'll ask you to bring it to the interview.

-The approach I took when constructing my portfolio was to write a list of
every document I could think of, then decide which section or sections they
could support.  After that I rationalised the list of documents, ensuring
that every section had at least one supporting document and that the
selection of documents met the criteria for assessment and showed off my
best work.  Many documents support more than one section and most sections
have more than one supporting document, so there is a lot of cross-
referencing!

-I chartered in June.  For some sections I only had one piece of evidence,
and sometimes this covered more than one section. Others had more items to
include.  I also used evidence of training or such, where I had 'gaps' in
my direct experiences.

Hannah Plom
Children's and Young Persons Librarian
Eastleigh Library Development Team