My attention has been directed to another LIS-CILIP-REG posting from Clair
Castle on 8th July 2004 entitled 'Library Staff development' that examined
a similar issue and demonstrated that practice varies across sectors.

Once again, many thanks for the continued postings on this issue from
colleagues in all sectors of the profession.

Following all the feedback I have received on this issue and given that
some organisations are offering their staff so little, I have now taken
this issue up with CDG at a National level.

It will be good to see if some guidance can be drawn up on what candidates
on both routes should expect from their employers and I will feedback to
the list.

Matt Treadwell
Subject Librarian (Health)
University of Plymouth