Hi,

I am wondering if it might be possible to use a
three level mixed-effects GLM to analyse my
single-subject repeated-measure fMRI data which
looks like this:

First-level:
- blockdesign (106 scans)
- three conditions repeated three times each
   + 7 confounds (incl. headmovement estimates)

Second-level:
- the measurement was repeated twice resulting in
three sessions
- a covariate of no interest at this level could
be "adaption" (1 0 -1)

Third-level:
- the three sessions were repeated six times
seperated by a week each
- after the first week we introduced a treatment
which stopped right before the fifth week
- a covariate of no interest at this level could be
again "adaption" (5 3 1 -1 -3 -5)
- I want to test for positive or negative BOLD
look at differences between all of the weeks or
use a covariate which resembles our hypothesis:
1-1-2-3-4-2

Does this make sense while all data is coming from
a single subject? How do I calculate the effective
degrees of freedom (which are hopefully not 6 weeks
minus 2 covariates = 4 as in "random effects"
analysis)?

Unfortunately, the control condition turned out to
change with treatment too, therefore I am not able
to use the contrast "(A or B) > C" at the first-level,
but only "(A or B) > 0" or "(A or B) < 0". Apart
from introducing the problem of intra-subject
variability of activation (which would have been
controlled by the control condition), does this
complicate anything?

I would be grateful for any advice.

All the best,
Thomas

 Thomas Mierdorf, Dipl. Psych.

 Institute of Experimental Psychology
 Heinrich-Heine-University, D-40225 Duesseldorf, Germany

 voice: ++492118112010;  fax: ++492118114522
 email: [log in to unmask]