On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:11:35 -0400, Charles Prescott <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Excuse me for lurking and being puzzled, but is the conclusion here that
management can not discuss the work records, which includes an absence
record which includes sick days claimed, of an employee? Or is the Council
not the employer? I the former is the case, is there a solution to this?
Employers have to assess their employees'performance.

Would argue that employers can discuss employee sickness only in the
context of dealing with it under absence management procedures, etc. So
would not expect (for example) all the various service Directors to get
together and chat about all sickness absence of all employees - but might
expect line managers to discuss up the hierarchy if specific circumstances
give rise to concerns.

As stated in earlier postings - Council employees work for the body
corporate without 'fear or favour' - which is why employees keep their jobs
regardless of changes in the political makeup of the Council.

Councillors should only have access to information that they require to
undertake their function as either Member of full Council or as Ward
Councillor acting for constituents - so have no more right to
know 'everything' than officers & employees.

Was this discussed by full Council in the monthly (public) meeting? If so,
why? I can't think of any valid reason for this - with or without
identifying details.

Or was it in the 'closed' part of the meeting in relation to, say, whether
to retire an individual on health grounds, or maybe whether a risk to H&S
had been identified in relation to working practices compared to absence of
a particular set of employees?

In which case, as long as no identifiable details, seems OK to me.

Kirsty E Gray
Data Protection Officer
Commission for Social Care Inspection

Note: comments for discussion and debate only and do not necessarily
reflect the corporate position of the CSCI nor constitute legal advice.

            All user commands can be found at : -