** Reply to note from Kirsty E Gray <[log in to unmask]>         Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:56:12 +0100

> >I think that those of you in HE will find (those of you in England and
> >Wales anyway) that your University/college has a duty to give the
> >relevant Electoral Officer the names and details of those students who
> >are resident in University owned (managed?) accommodation.
>
> Just a few more thoughts!
>
> Is it definately a requirement to provide names or just 'custom &
> practice'? Isn't that treating students like children, not adults? Plus not
> all resident students will be eligible to vote in the UK anyway - do you
> have to differentiate by nationality?

No idea about what HEIs (or even we) do, however a couple of comments on
eligibility ... from memory.

Overseas students ... (as I assume they do not have a British passport or
citizenship) ... cannot vote in National elections but they can vote in local
elections (at least I could a loooong time ago).

EU citizens, can vote in Local elections and in European elections as long as
they do not choose to vote in their home country.

EU citizens can vote in Scottish (parliament) Elections (don't remeber it non-EU
citizens can vote).  Presumambly the same applies to Welsh elections.  What
happens to Scottish and Welsh "citizens" who may not be studying in their
home country or overseas students studying in Scotland and Wales .

An electoral registration form would help clarify the above.  And then will
students be opted in the *electronic* electoral register or will they be opted out
from that.  (that is the one that is being sold ... everyone gets added in the
paper version of the register available for inspection etc etc etc).

Charles

--
Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Planning & Information, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 4HN,

            All user commands can be found at : -