Naomi Greenberg wrote:
> Thank you all for your replies.  I agree with everything you've said,
> but it would be helpful to me if there were actual references I could
> cite proving this point, rather than stating opinions, albeit those of
> the experts.  Has anyone seen any comparitive studies or articles on the
> subjects of either speed considerations or, as James points out, cost
> ineffectiveness of converting legacy codes?
> Thanks,
> Naomi

Well I'm not sure where to even begin to look for such
published articles.  The last thing anyone would do is
admit that a very expensive code conversion project
was not cost effective.  So, who would have sufficient
access to the project to write an informed article, but
not have a vested interest in defending the choice to
convert?

You might get a reputable software firm to estimate the
cost of the conversion (have them think it's a possible
contract, and ask for guaranteed deadlines).  Compare that
to your known cost of maintaining the Fortran.  I think
that might be sufficient

--
J. Giles