Dear Lawrence

Alas! I went to immense pains to avoid offending anyone when I knew what I
wanted to say was delicate - after all, I effectively suggested that both
Ian and youself were in fact expressing political views, and I don't
suppose anyone likes having their literal meaning so blatantly ignored.

But I needn't have worried, because I'd blown it in the first five words.
I now see that this was bound to be taken as an infantile and patronising
reply to you (to make this even more inevitable, I quoted your message at
the foot of mine).

The fact is, I intended no such thing - my first sentence was supposed to
be addressed to anyone who had listened in on the forum correspondence but
hadn't looked up the original review. My intention was not to reply to
(let alone refute) your original remarks but to try and raise some other
issues. After such a beginning I suppose nothing else that I said made any
sense.

Since you pick me up on it, can I also admit that the sentence "Similarly
I really don't think it matters about the
words '"meaning"', '"understanding"', and 'experience'" is nonsense as it
stands. Oh well.

best

Michael