Lawrence

>I intended to send it front channel

- that is, a response to my last posting here, to which I then replied
B/C, with this present posting as riposte. I insert names to make easier
reading:

>Feel free to send this back f-c, which I would prefer

PP:
>> No, it's a mythology. Sorry to bring back your bad memories. I do
>> remember moments of connection. My memory may well not be accurate. But
>> I find these memories, real or not, valuable - as giving a possible
>> "once-and-future" utopia.

LU:
>No, it isn't. I don't know what you mean by bad memories. I remember it
>rather clearly and know what a fuc k up it is. If it's a mythology then who
>believes it? Not me. No golden age

PP:
>> I could argue too about the differences between the mediation of human
>> contact via electronic means and the difficulties of travel. Not I think
>> comparable (- trust me, I'm a media lecturer).

LU:
>Trust me, I was one too. There are of course differences, but both processes
>are technological. It is, for me, to do with distance. When I am in Cornwall
>I go to things all the time because I can walk

PP:
>> Genuinely sorry to have caused any pain over either Poetry Society or
>> SubVoicive. I attended readings in Holborn I think in the early 90s,
>> even read - never quite regularly enough for that connection quite to be
>> made by me.

LU;
>As I say, no pain caused. I just see no justification for claiming there is
>a viable mythology

My position is, Lawrence, that, yes, if you say it was all a fuck up at
the prelapsarian Poetry Society, OK, I'm sure it was. Most things are
when you are doing them. That it wasn't all a fuck up is the first thing
I'd want to hold to: in my innocence I found it good until it was
destroyed. That that was my experience is also a valid observation.

That the story presents a possibility of some different organisation of
affairs from how they are now, and that we can have that possibility
before us is even more important. Who did what to whom why & when is
worthless data - it is, to repeat that word, the mythology constructed
about what was there & what might have been, which is valuable & usable,
that's what I'm trying to emphasise. I suspect, from Trevor's earlier
post, this is, like many a mythic theme, cross-cultural, of that
wonderful time & place when poets got once together & connected. I would
suspect all poetic cultures hold this. The myth is not about what
happened in that bizarre building in Earls Court - it's about how for a
short period there seemed an actual possibility of some sort of
community & connection between a number of poets.

(vide Ernst Bloch's The Utopian Appeal of Popular Culture at this point)
- in other words, it is a pretty fairytale I have in my head, compared
to the unknowable mess that "really" occurred, and which you could
present me with (or with one of many, contradictory versions of). But:
this fairytale, in these hard & desperate times, provides a model for
what connections poets could make, and reveals the inadequacy of what
there is at present. The myth fulfils and thus reveals a desire in us
for a community of poets.

You can find this community you say via electronic media; I would prefer
it via the different forms of human contact possible when people
encounter eachother in physical places.
best wishes

Peter Philpott