As the question of eBay is once more causing some concern, I thought
colleagues would like to know that the sales monitoring service at The
National Archives is currently in contact with the site owners to highlight
the legal situation regarding sales and export of documents.  I will post
more fully when we have come to some resolution.

However, there is usually no legal barrier to selling private records on
eBay, so this question will continue to recur.  We do monitor eBay on a
regular basis, and have not found that large quantities of high quality
material are being sold, but if you are concerned at an item which you spot
on the site I suggest that you either contact the appropriate repository
yourself, or get in touch with us at [log in to unmask] (020
8392 5330 x2612) so that we can take appropriate action.

Melinda

Dr Melinda Haunton
Sales Monitoring Team Leader
The National Archives: HMC