Dear Colleagues

As you are all aware in March 2004 Chris Kitching of The National Archives
(TNA) convened a meeting of representatives from the Business Archives
Council, the Business Records Group of the Society of Archivists, the
Association of Business Historians and the Confederation of British Industry
(CBI) to discuss the development of a National Strategy for Business
Archives. You have already on this list serve seen the main discussion
document arising out of that meeting (posted by Katie Woolf on 3 June 2004).

It was also agreed at this meeting that some Guidance Notes, on archival
matters, needed to be developed for Business. I, in consultation with the
above bodies, have now drafted the first two of these papers. The first
relates to the benefits of having an in house archive and records
management service and the second is on the subjects to be considered if a
business was thinking of depositing their archives with a publicly funded
archive service.

The eventual aim is to have these posted permanently on a variety of
strategic websites including the TNA and the CBI. However before we do this
we want to consult as widely as possible to ensure that documents are
acceptable to both the archive and records management communities.
The documents are available for consultation and comment at
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/34.htm.

Please send any comments or suggestions you might have to me at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  and I will post the final
drafts to the list serve in due course. (Please note I will be on holiday
for the next fortnight and therefore any e mails I receive will not be
acted on until August).

Many thanks for help and assistance in this matter and I look forward to
hearing from you.

Regards

Nigel Hardman
Group Archives