Dear all

Probably more a question for our conservation colleagues, although I am sure
that Archivists as well will have a view.

I have spent part of this morning looking at a system for vacuum packing
modern files. I am interested to know if anyone else has seen a similar
system. Also does anyone have a view on whether totally depriving paper of
the normal environment, especially air, would have a damaging effect on it
and does plastic contain anything which might migrate into the paper with
equally damaging effects. I have to say from a security, protection from
water and smoke point of view, the system certainly has its advantages.
Although in extreme conditions if a fire melts it, your file would be beyond
recall. It also supposedly reduces space by up to 40%, which can only be
attractive.

Please reply off list and I will summarise any views I get for the
Listserve.

Many thanks

Nigel

ALLIANCE & LEICESTER PLC - IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This communication, and the information it contains
a) is intended for the addressee named above and for no other person or
organisation, and
b) may be confidential and/or legally privileged and/or protected in law.

Access to this communication by anyone other than the addressee is
unauthorised.  Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of all or part of this communication
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Unless the contrary is clear from its context, this communication does not create or modify any contract.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately
by return e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication.

This communication may contain personal data.  If so, you are required to observe the provisions of any relevant data protection legislation in any processing of such data.

Although this company has taken reasonable steps to ensure that this communication and any attachments are free from computer virus, you are advised to take your own steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

Alliance & Leicester plc is a member of the Legal & General Marketing Group,
which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Alliance & Leicester plc only sells the life assurance and investment products of that Group.

Alliance & Leicester plc, Registered office : Carlton Park, Narborough,
Leicester LE19 0AL.
Company No: 3263713. Registered in England.