Hi everyone,

I would like to understand better the definition of 'Inclusive Design'. And personally would like to be able to quote the most 'well defined' one. (As I am currently researching 'Accessibility to Historic Public Buildings').

Here are some assumptions that I wish to validate (or at least discuss further) within this egroup about the definition.

Based on what Marcus had written earlier, the phrase ' by working with users', if omitted will not make the definition complete. For example, if a representative of the users (for example an access officer) or an access advisory group (of different users and abilities) were not involved in a pre-planning stage or early stage of design, the product of the design (such as a building) would deem to be non-inclusive. At best, the end product would only be partially inclusive or just plainly accessible?

And with reference to Marcus's comments again, giving the example of ' a stair platform lift is not an inclusive design solution', would further emphasise the definition clearer, as 'users being involved earlier on in the design process of the built environment' would make it inclusive, hence the 'access feature' added on, ie the lift, would not have been there in the first place (if they had the choice earlier on), as the users would have insisted on a more  gradual rather than an abrupt approach to the change of levels.

If a definition becomes a measure of how inclusive a design product is, we find many to be non-inclusive, especially historic and listed buildings and there are evidently many compromises needed to be made to make them partially inclusive or accessible even.

Does inclusivity only concentrate on design (or implicit solutions) or does it also include services or management solutions, which leans away from the idea of 'independence'.

Hence, in my opinion, inclusive approach is easier to define than inclusive design, and if wanting to make it more acceptable, I would began to think inclusive design as an approach rather than a product, but would that be compromising too much?

In a way, Marcus's definition of inclusive design by using the phrase ' a way of' is actually saying 'an approach that', which to me is more towards the 'inclusive approach', and the word 'design' should not indicate a 'product' but more of a 'process'. Somehow the definition has managed to do all that.

I look forward more thoughts on this matter.

Cheers,

Naziaty Yaacob, PhD Researcher

Peace Be Upon You

Protect your PC - Click here for McAfee.com VirusScan Online ----------End of Message----------