Hi Betty,
My understanding that in it's purest form PBL is very resource
intensive. I have had some experience of working with small groups
using this type of approach and with 40 students this increased my
class contact time from 1hr per week for tutorials to 4hrs/week (in
addition to keynote lectures which were timetabled for 1hr/week).

I was however very encouraged by my experiences and student
feedback and I am therefore just about to start a 2 year project to
adapt the technique for use with larger groups. My intent is to
experiment with the use of a number of tutorless groups within a
classroom environment of 25-30 students at a time. There are
some case studies in the literature and some experience within our
University to make me believe that this is feasible provided the
learning environment is approptiately structured and supported.

Regards,
Helen

On 30 Nov 2003, at 22:32, HARRIS Betty wrote:

> HI Mark do you or other colleagues know of any work undertaken
> regarding PBL and resource issues - particularly in terms of financial
> costs staff and rooms.
>
> Betty Harris
> Senior Lecturer

Mrs Helen Crabtree,