"Ms Brenda M. Cook" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>does anyone know if the cartulary and / or the necrology of Fontevraud is
available anywhere either in hard copy or (preferably for me) on line ?

Dear Brenda,

as you may know, the fundamental reference source for obituaries is the
on-going

Répertoire des documents nécrologiques français / publié sous la direction
de Pierre Marot par Jean-Loup Lemaître.
Paris : Impr. Nationale : Klincksieck, 1980-[1992 ]

which is trying to list and describe --in great detail-- *all* of the ms
sources for all necrologies in France, indicating their publication (if any)
and even  "indication" in published works.

the entries for Fontevreault (vol. 7, pt. 2, # 2900ff) does not look good,
beginning with

"Il a existe' plusieurs ne'crologes de Fontevrault, tous perdus..."

looks like the only publications are a few brief mentions in the GC and some
other early modern works.

perhaps the best bet might be a ms in the AD Maine-et-Loire, 101.H, which has
quite a few pages (over 100?) of "extraits" from a "Grand necrologe" of the
17th c.

if you can't get aholt of the Lemaître, i might be able to scan the two pages
and put them in a .pdf file for you.

as far as i know, the best source for finding out about cartularies --their
mss and publication (if any)-- is still :

Bibliographie générale des cartulaires français ou relatifs à l'histoire
de France, par Henri Stein.  Paris, A. Picard et fils, 1907.
[vii]-xv, 627 p. 23 cm.

which has, apparently, never been updated.

let me know if you can't find this either --perhaps it is available on
Gallica, i don't know.

a Worldcat search on "Fontevrault" should turn up any published editions of
its cartulary, but Stein is very thorough, listing originals and *every* early
modern copy he could come up with, etc.

best from here,

christopher

Christopher's Book Room