From the estimable Medieval Sourcebook I quote this eserpt from Einhard's
Life of Charlemagne:

"At this time, on a sudden, the Bavarian war broke out, but came to a speedy
end. It was due to the arrogance and folly of Duke Tassilo. His wife
[Liutberga], a daughter of King Desiderius, was desirous of avenging her
father's banishment through the agency of her husband, and accordingly
induced him to make a treaty with the Huns, the neighbors of the Bavarians
on the east, and not only to leave the King's commands unfulfilled, but to
challenge him to war. Charles' high spirit could not brook Tassilo's
insubordination, for it seemed to him to pass all bounds; accordingly he
straightway summoned his troops from all sides for a campaign against
Bavaria and appeared in person with a great army on the river Lech , which
forms the boundary between the Bavarians and the Alemanni. After Pitching
his camp upon its banks, he determined to put the Duke's disposition to the
test by an embassy before entering the province. Tassilo did not think that
it was for his own or his people's good to persist, so he surrendered
himself to the King, gave the hostages demanded, among them his own son
Theodo, and promised by oath not to give ear to any one who should attempt
to turn him from his allegiance; so this war, which bade fair to be very
grievous, came very quickly to an end. Tassilo, however, was afterward
summoned to the King's presence [788], and not suffered to depart, and the
government of the province that he had had in charge was no longer intrusted
to a duke, but to counts."

-----Original Message-----
From: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Pat
McIntosh-Spinnler
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 3:59 AM
To: John Wickstrom
Subject: Re: saints of the day 13. December

> Tassilo (d. c. 794)  Tassilo was duke of Bavaria, a notable patron of
> both monasteries and secular churches.  He was deposed by Charlemagne
> and spent the rest of his life as a monk.

These snippets are so tantalising!
WHY was Tassilo deposed by Charlemagne? And what language or ethnic group
does his name come from? It doesn't sound very Bavarian in this form, but I
have no idea who was living in Bavaria in the C8.

Pat

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]