From: Lance Housley [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 December 2003 16:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: WHSmith People's Choice Book Awards website

Afternoon, all!

Let's not be too hasty here.

I would agree about the Back-button thing if there were anything underhand
going on.  A website CAN re-program the back-button (or practically anything
else except the power switch!) so that it does something different.  But
this site doesn't.

Many websites employ a technique of identifying what kind of browser a
visitor is using (or what geographical location they come from &c) and then
redirect to a suitably designed page.

Try going to www.hotbot.com - which re-directs UK users to www.hotbot.co.uk
Until recently www.altavista.com would redirect UK users to uk.altavista.com
- it doesn't anymore, but it does detect a UK user and provides suitably
tailored options and results anyway.

In the case of the People's Network link to the People's Choice page, the
URL given does not specify a page, merely a folder.  In this situation, the
default page to serve will usually be index.htm or home.htm or default.htm.
The website is merely redirecting the browser to an actual page - in this
instance vote_holdingpage.php, with an extra tag to indicate that the source
is library.

The problem is - if you hit the back button, you just get back to a default
page which re-directs you again.  So, just double-click on the back-button
and everything should be OK.

Some may object that hitting the back-button on Hotbot or Altavista works
fine - the difference is that those sites use server-side re-directs, while
the People's Choice site is using client-side redirects.  What's the
difference?

Effectively, with a server-side redirect, your browser asks for one page but
the server gives it a different one. A single click on the back button is
sufficient because you did not visit another page (even fleetingly) in
between.  With a client-side re-direct, the server sends a page to your PC
telling it to go to another page.  You will not usually see anything (some
sites post a little note on your screen saying something like "Please wait
while we redirect you") but because there was an intermediate page, you need
a double-click on the back button.

Which is most honest?  Well, a server-side re-direct is certainly easier to
navigate, but you may not even notice that you have been sent somewhere you
did not specifically ask to go to.  A client-side redirect is more up-front,
but does complicate matters for the user.

Lance Housley
Reference Librarian,
North Devon Library,
Devon Library and Information Services

This message is written in a personal capacity and does not reflect the
views of Devon County Council or its services.

It is intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this email by
mistake please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Opinions
expressed are those of the individual and do not necessarily represent the
opinion of Cambridgeshire County Council. All sent and received email from
Cambridgeshire County Council is automatically scanned for the presence of
computer viruses and security issues.