Dear colleagues

In several experiments carried on with participants that drove an instrumented vehicle in open roads we have found systematically a pupil size increment effect attributable to increased mental workload - (independent from variations attributable to daylight changes) - and this effect has also been consistent with subjective effort measures. We have also found, congruently, momentary pupill size peaks corresponding to particularly demanding traffic situations like emergency braking, etc.

But in recent experiments focused on speed effects on visual behaviour, we found a pupil size reduction attributable to driving speed, but we have no explanation for this. The reanalysis of data prior experiments regarding speed seems to confirm this effect also.

Has anyone found this effect, or has anyone some idea about a possible explanation ?

Thanks

Luis Miguel Nunes
Dirección General de Tráfico
c/Josefa Valcárcel 28