Dear All,

I am writing about the assocation of uterine fibroids and infertility and
was using the 9 criteria described by Sackett et al in Clinical Epidemiology
as the basis for the discussion. Does any one know if these have been
further developed or written about in other places. That would be most
useful.

Here are the nine criteria for causality that I am using:

Is there experimental evidence from human studies?
Is the association strong?
Is the association consistent from study to study?
Is the temporal relationship correct?
Is there a dose-response relationship?
Does the association make epidemiological sense?
Does the association make biological sense?
Is the association specific?
Is the association analogous to a previously proven causal association?

Professor Cindy Farquhar
Postgraduate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
University of Auckland
National Women's Hospital
+64 9 6309943 ext 4092 (secretary)
Direct Dial +64 9 6236848