Will there be a target of 50 percent of under 30s in the army by 2010? John
-----Original Message-----
From: David J McKnight [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 December 2003 11:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Govt intoduces 'Ammunition Fees'

Government Introduces ‘Ammunition Fees’

The Government has unveiled new plans to introduce ‘Ammunition Fees’ for soldiers. British service men and women will now be expected to make a financial contribution to war-fighting in order to cover the spiralling cost of bullets, rockets, missiles and bombs being used in conflict zones such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said the move "would enhance opportunities for those from poorer backgrounds to gain access to the Armed Forces". The Prime Minister has said that the plans amount to the biggest shake up in the Armed Forces since the introduction of the SA80 assault rifle. "Just let me say this" pleaded Tony Blair, "the introduction of the SA80 was both a boon for British manufacturers and a vital asset to the British Army". However, the rifle has proved nothing of the sort as it doesn’t actually work. Critics, including a large number of Labour MPs have said the plan for ammunition fees is headed in the same direction.

In the face of a huge rebellion from his own backbenchers, the Prime Minister remains defiant "If we don’t pass this legislation we will failing in our duty to the ordinary fighting men and women of this country. If I don’t get support for ammunition fees then I will be forced to tender my resignation".

Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime