Call for papers:
Children’s Geographies conference

9-10 August 2004

School of Geography & Geosciences
University of St Andrews
Scotland, UK

Convenors:
Mike Kesby, Fungi Gwanzura-Ottemoller, Monica Chizororo
Administrator:
Richard Batchelor

A very high level of interest in children’s geographies in developing regions was evident during sessions at the 2003 RGS/IBG meeting.  However, many delegates seemed frustrated by a lack of opportunity for discussion and interaction.  We would thus like to invite colleagues to attend a two-day event dedicated to the discussion of children’s geographies.

Participants:
We know that many Geographers are researching children but we would also welcome contributions from colleagues in other fields.  This conference will reflect the growing interest within the academic community but we hope to invite non-academic participants (e.g. from NGO’s) so that colleagues from both sectors can share their experience, opinions and visions for necessary future research.  Our focus will be on developing regions but we would also welcome contributions from those working in developed world contexts, especially where these contributions will help develop the meeting’s discussion of theoretical and methodological issues.  We welcome contributions from post grads as much as from professors.  Work presented can be “in-progress” or “proposed” and such work may be given shorter time slots.

Format:
We would like speakers to present short papers (30 mins max) on their work in the usual way, but would like to make space for group discussions, breakout sessions and plenaries.   Our plan to invite representatives from non-academic organisations should further increase the opportunities for networking and interaction.

Themes:
We will decide the strands of the conference once we have received the abstracts.  However the following themes might be a good place to begin:

·       Theorising/conceptualising children/childhood
·       Children and ‘the big four’
        o       Class
        o       Race
        o       Gender
        o       Sexuality
·       Studying children/childhood
        o       Techniques, methodologies and guiding epistemologies.
·       Children and health
        o       Children/youths and HIV/AIDS/sexual health
        o       Children and malnutrition
        o       Children and Malaria, TB etc.
·       Orphans and child headed Households
·       Children and Sexual exploitation
·       Children and military conflict
        o       Child soldiers
·       Children, Poverty and Social Exclusion
        o       Street children
        o       Child labour
        o       Youth crime/crime against youths
·       Education
·       The social and spatial mobility of young people
        o       Children and migration
        o       Child refugees
·       Children/youth and the environment
·       Children’s rights and development
·       Youth activism
·       NGOs children and youths
·       Agendas for future research on/with children in the developing world

Deadlines for Abstracts:
April 31 2004.  But we would be happy to receive expressions of interest asap.

Important ‘details’:
We would like to arrange crèche facilities if we can.  The sooner we have a sense of the demand, the easier it will be for us to do this.   We would also like to book flexible teaching space (rather than lecture theatre space) again, the sooner we get a sense of the likely level of interest the easier this will be.
We have a desire to make the planning and agenda of this conference in some small way ‘participatory’.  We are thus open to suggestions on format and themes as well as on who to invite from the non-academic sector.

Registration
The deadline for registration is 31 May 2004.  A copy of the registration form will soon be available from the School of Geography & Geosciences website http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/gg/schoolpage.html (hit the ‘News’ link to find information about forthcoming events).  Forms will be available in .pdf and text formats.  This site will be updated regularly as more details about the programme become available.

Further Information
For further details about the academic content of the meeting, contact:
Mike Kesby, School of Geography & Geosciences, University of St Andrews, St Andrews KY16 9AL UK
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 (0) 1334 463909

For further information about registration, accommodation and travel, contact:
Richard Batchelor, School of Geography & Geosciences, University of St Andrews, St Andrews KY16 9AL UK
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 (0) 1334 463923
Fax: +44 (0) 1334 463949