On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 03:23:34PM -0000, John Casey {DAICE} wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> I think the role of 'subjective metadata' and 'recommender systems' is going
> to be what makes e-learning collections fly - this has also been called
> 'secondary metadata'. The trick is how to do it - I think some of the
> e-commerce solutions (reviews, help notes, tech discussion boards etc) give
> part of the possible solution, but I think there has to be some human agency
> involved - if you like a librarian or community facilitator with some
> quality assurance built in as well.

[snip]

> Cheers
> John

Hi John,

I may have misinterpreted your comment, ignore me if I have :)

A 'recommender system' such as used by amazon is an automatic system,
separate to the reviews etc.  It uses data mining techniques to,
hopefully, return better results, ie books you might want to buy are
automatically presented to you, based on your behaviour and the
behaviour of people 'like' you.  When searching repositories for
learning objects maybe the same sort of system can be used to return
'better' learning objects.  This is something I hope to be exploring
over the next few years.  I'm interested in hearing if anyone knows of
any work done in this area in regard to learning objects.

cheers, Michael

--
Michael Harris
Associate Lecturer                          Operations Manager &