Equally, if not more significant, as a source of daimon theory is Plato's Laws. The Athenian Stranger's political application of the daimon myth has the same goals as the Faerie Queene, and in its own historical moment Plato/Socrates is also attempting to refashion and employ the ordering force of dying religious-mythical symbols from an earlier age. I wouldn't be surprised if Spenser took "daimon theory" seriously as a pagan symbolization of an experience emphasized in protestantism--the guiding pull of the divine. Milton seems to have appropriated the theory and its terminology, as he refers to his own genius/daimon in this sense and makes Lycidas return to earth from heaven as a genius. Perhaps daimones/genii were an acceptable replacement for the saints, the dead, purgatory, etc. and a means for Spenser and Milton to insert/assert divine agency in human political affairs when Protestantism had made that more difficult to do. When Milton calls Cromwell "the tutelary genius of liberty," it strikes me as being more than a metaphoric ornament, but in context it seems full of doubt and a too-conscious desire to believe. The Athenian Stranger is clear that if daimones don't rule the people, or if society is not ordered by laws informed by the immortal, daimonic element within us, then you get tyranny and Ano means of salvation@ for the people. -Dan Knauss