Please remember that when M. Lucius Nobilior brought back the "Muses"  from
Ambrakia in 187 BC, the statues were placed under the protection of Hercules in
Circus Flamineus .  The tem[ple was called Aedes Herculis Musarum and was
restored by the step-father of Augustus,  mentioned in Cicero's Pro Archia and
is the subject of the last poem of Ovid's Fasti I own a 16th C engraving of
Hercules driving envy from the temple of the Muses.  At least for the Romans
Hercules had a real connection with the Arts. tpr