From: Margaret Procter [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 November 2003 12:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FOI e-learning -

With apologies for cross posting

This was advertised through the records-management-UK list a couple of
weeks ago, and on the basis of a £28 for 40 days trial offer I ordered
it! (Beats the £999 +VAT selling price).

The advice on publication schemes and records management, in which I'm
particularly interested, is extremely disappointing.  These sections (using
a video story format)concentrate  on 'public records' (not defined) and  on
a search made at The National Archives  via PROCAT, the example class
used=20 to illustrate use of a publication scheme - very odd. Even worse,
'TNA' is represented by, guess what, a dithery middle aged woman giving
our hero access to a variety of cardboard boxes.

Whoever is responsible for this at Masons clearly had no contact with
TNA,or if they did, were shouted down by the production team who wanted
to perpetuate an image of recordkeeping = dusty basement.  While the
use, construction and maintenance of publication schemes is discussed in
the reference text on the CD,  the most popular training element would
be the video and this is quite inadequate.    A great disappointment,
though it would be good to hear from people with an interest in other
parts of the FOIA whether other aspects of the Act are more
appropriately treated.

Margaret Procter

--On 11 November 2003 11:11 +0000 "Wood, Stephen" <[log in to unmask]>=20
wrote:

> May be of interest to the list:
>
> FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
> The Freedom of Information Act in small, easy chunks
> Masons Solicitors and Video Arts have launched an e-learning system to
> help public sector workers to understand and comply with the Freedom of
> Information Act 2000 (www.videoarts.co.uk/foi)  Times Law 11/11/03 p8
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,200-885452,00.html
>
> Steve
>
>  [Image: "Liverpool"] Faculty of
> Business and Law
>

> Steve Wood BA MA
> Lecturer in Information Management
> School of Business Information
>

> John Foster Building, 98 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, L3 5UZ
> t: 0151 231 3589  e: [log in to unmask]
> w: www.livjm.ac.uk

Margaret Procter
Lecturer in Records and Information Management
LUCAS, School of History
9 Abercromby Sq
Liverpool L69 3DA

Tel 0044 151 794 2411
Fax 0044 151 794 3153

Margaret Procter
Lecturer in Records and Information Management
LUCAS, School of History
9 Abercromby Sq
Liverpool L69 3DA

Tel 0044 151 794 2411
Fax 0044 151 794 3153

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.

On entering the GSI, this email was scanned for viruses by the Government
Secure Intranet (GSI) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable &
Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

GSI users see
http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/notices/information/gsi-003-2002.pdf for further
details. In case of problems, please call your organisational IT helpdesk

http://www.messagelabs.com