Chris,
For operations where we handle large volumes of document interfiling we
typically will take a sampling to determine an "average" number of
documents per inch, and then use that measure to estimate the total daily
/ weekly... volume of documents handled.  eg: take 6 stacks of 12 inches
of filing and count the actual number of documents in each stack.
Determine your average from there and use that as the guideline. Depending
on the type of business / documents you may want to perform periodic
re-checks to assure your estimates continue to hold true.

Betty McAlvany
Pitney Bowes Management Services
RIM Solutions Consultant
205 N Michigan Ave  Suite 300
Chicago IL 60601
Phone: 312-729-7982
Fax: 312-729-0718
Email: [log in to unmask]

Chris Everett <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The UK Records Management mailing list
11/21/2003 05:35 AM
Please respond to
Chris Everett <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Performance Monitoring - Question

(apologies for cross posting)
I have recently been asked to improve my management reporting data with
respect to the filing unit I run. We are a small unit and we manage the
client correspondence files on behalf of our investment teams. The
question has been asked "How much filing do we do?". The short answer is,
I don't know. I am aware that if we had an EDM solution in place then it
would be easy to capture this data, but this is not an option for at least
6 - 9 months.
My initial thought is to go by the weight of the paper. Not very accurate
in regards to workload, but certainly an indicator of the amount of paper
we are dealing with. My second idea is to count the number of documents we
file, but this strikes me as very time intensive and perhaps a little
counter productive.
I would be very interested to hear how other people measure the volume of
filing they do on a daily basis, and what their thoughts are on the
subject.
Regards,
Chris Everett
Central Filing Manager
Baring Asset Management (London)

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This transmission has been issued by a member of Baring Asset
Management("BAM")
for the information of the addressee only. It may contain information that
is confidential
and/or privileged and should not be reproduced and/or distributed to any
other person
without the consent of BAM. Any document attached hereto must be read in
conjunction
with any disclaimer which forms part of it and you are advised to read the
additional
notifications which can be accessed from the URL below. If you are not the
intended
recipient please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your
system. E-mails are
susceptible to data corruption, interception, falsification, delay,
unauthorised
amendment and viruses. BAM does not accept liability for any such events
or any
consequences thereof in respect of e-mails sent, or received, by us and
whilst we have
taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this
e-mail has
been swept for viruses, we cannot accept any liability for any loss or
damage
sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry
out your own
virus checks before opening any attachment. In circumstances where the
content of this
transmission is important you should not rely on its integrity without
verifying it by
telephone or facsimile. Any communications transmitted by telephone,
facsimile and
e-mail to, or by, you may be accessed, recorded, monitored and/or made
available to BAM
http:[log in to unmask]