Ed raises several important points here, but I want to be clear that by no means was I advocating ignoring qualitative software.

I was just talking about one special case where researchers only have lists of words in responses.  In our experience we find that these circumstances usually accompany situations where analysis time is tight and researchers are not intending on pursuing qualitative analysis in more depth than the short word or words in response to items in a couple of open ends.  Usually they are only looking to count, which quantitative software is built to do.

>>From Ed's message:
"But isn't it rather short-sighted to encourage researchers to continue using programs because they have them rather than because they offer the best way to perform qualitative research?"
...I absolutely agree with Ed here...but question his definition of qualitative research...

Here's the point of potential disagreement...is it really qualitative research when you only have a word or two in response to each open end?

Sophisticated tools should not re-define the field to a place where a word is seen as enough to call something qualitative.

If by brief we mean a word or two - I worry that people define that as qualitative...move to a sentence or paragraph, then use and abuse qualitative software...and Ed and I are then in the same camp...

The issue is how open is open, not who is supporting the qualitative software movement...my record clearly supports use of software in a range of ways...with a range of data and along a spectrum of creative applications.

Raymond C. Maietta, Ph.D., President
ResearchTalk Inc.
1650 Sycamore Ave, Suite 53
Bohemia, NY  11716